Friday, May 4, 2012

SITTING THIS ONE OUT

It's official -- the PC Bricks will be not be playing in 2012. Between scheduling conflicts, other obligations, and summer vacations, we won't have enough players to field a team this summer.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one side, I've been pretty fed up with our squad's lack of enthusiasm the past two seasons. We had a small core of players who were really into playing softball and being a part of the team. The rest seemed to view our team as something to fill their time when they didn't have something better to do. I grew to resent my weekly struggle to get our players to attend practice and show up for our games. When the season was over I was relieved.

On the flip side, I enjoy the game immensely and I'm sure I will miss it as the summer wears on. I will miss the camaraderie, the competition, and the process of developing a cohesive team. I will miss making new friends with the players who join our team and those with whom we compete.

I hope those who still wish to play will catch on with another team and enjoy the season. It may prove to be a good litmus test for the Bricks. If those who play elsewhere have a more fulfilling experience this season, we'll know our team has run its course. If they find it unsatisfying, there may be enough motivation to get the band back together in 2013. We can revisit this next year to see where everyone stands.

I won't be joining another team. I'm going to be on the East Coast from July 4th-28th so I would miss a good chunk of the season. I will probably join a couple of summer bowling leagues and go to more baseball games this year. No doubt I'll still make my way over to Nicholl Park to watch the games when I can. I hope to see many of you on the field and in the stands.

2 comments:

  1. The 2012 season has started and I've seen a couple of games so far. I'm trying to keep track of where our former Bricks are playing. Off the top of my head...

    Str8 Ballin': Gena, Neci, Mandi, Marcus.
    Outlaws: James, Josh, Nguyet.
    Untouchables: Richie, Carlos, Mariza, Nina.
    Terminal Digits: Tanya.

    Did I leave anyone out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Str8 Ballin' is off to a 3-0 start with this week's defeat of the Mod Squad. Marcus pitched and held the Mods to 5 runs. Impressive!

    Mandi had a BIG day going 4-for-4 with a double. In the field she turned two grounders into outs while playing second base. Her best play of the day may have been a hard grounder she backhanded but the speedy runner was able to beat her throw to first.

    It's good to know the Bricks are still making their mark in the league. I'm especially proud of Mandi who works so hard to learn the nuances of the game and to improve her play. One wouldn't know by watching her that she had never played softball before 2010.

    ReplyDelete

(Please keep it clean)