Thursday, July 15, 2010

PC Bricks 12, Outlaws 11

I don't know that I've ever experienced a win that felt so much like a loss. I'm struggling to find the words to properly describe how ashamed I feel about being a part of the selfish, undisciplined display of softball we put on today.

We identified the things we needed to accomplish. We worked on our plan extensively at practice to ensure everyone was on the same page. Then the game arrived and we watched all that planning and effort get flushed down the toilet almost instantly.

I don't want to go too deep into this because then it looks like blaming and it becomes divisive. I will go so far as to say that today's level of commitment to the team and its goals was not universal. I don't know if it was a matter of getting caught up in emotion or if it was a willful lack of respect. Either way, I will not be involved in another disgraceful performance like that again. If acting like banty roosters and putting the desires of the few above the needs of the many is the course we're going to take, I am finished.

I wish I could say the things that stand out most about the game were the tension and drama of a close game and the way Carlos and Gena finished it off in the bottom of the seventh inning with two huge clutch hits. But the foul stench of other things that occurred at Nicholl Park today are foremost in my mind. It may have been a win in the standings but it feels like a loss to me. Perhaps that feeling will diminish with time. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please keep it clean)