Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We were crushed but there's no need to panic

Hey, folks. Let's not get down on ourselves for the butt kicking we took from the TD's yesterday. The TD's played a great game. We just have to tip our caps to them and prepare ourselves for our next game. If you play enough games, you'll have days like that no matter how good your team may be. There's no need for us to lose confidence or try to fix things that aren't broken. I think we may have overreacted a bit when the TD's took early command of the game. I'm not sure what the reasons were but we reacted to the TD's hitting barrage by shuffling our defense around. In one instance, I think it was in reaction to Gena getting hurt. I understand that one. But when we started putting our players at positions they hadn't played before, I'm not sure what this was supposed to accomplish. I don't mean to criticize the decision. I'm just trying to understand it. I'm open minded and if someone can make sense of it for me, I'll get on board. Otherwise, I think this is something we should avoid in the future. When people are asked to do things they haven't done before, they tend to struggle. This is just my opinion but I don't think the TD's were going to stop hitting no matter what positions we were playing. James tried to take the blame for it but we can't let him do that. Perhaps his control wasn't as sharp as it usually is but it's not the reason we lost. We were beaten because the TD's outplayed us in every phase of the game. They hit better. They ran the bases better. They fielded better (despite them booting a few balls at shortstop). And on top of all that, Mr. Brown pitched an outstanding game. There's always room for improvement so there are some things we can work on at practice next Monday besides our usual routine. Maybe we should make it a lighter workout this time. We worked really hard at our last practice and with a game the following day, it may have been too much. Ideally, there would be a day off between our practices and our games but Tuesday games eliminate that possibility. (Maybe next year we can schedule our games on Wednesdays and Thursdays instead of Tuesdays and Wednesdays.) Let's have a light workout and walk-through Monday so we don't wear ourselves down. Then we can get back to doing our thing in the playoffs.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to agree, the TD's played an outstanding game on Tuesday. They wanted to win and they came to win! It was very nice of James to take the blame for our loss, but I will have to remind him of what Grandpa said when we lost to the TSC. He told us "We win as a team and lose as a team". I hope we make good use of Monday's practice because we still have a chance in the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Coach Grandpa are correct, Miss Princess. I have every confidence that we'll bounce back and play well in our remaining games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the first couple of innings left us in a state of shock. We're used to putting that kind of pressure on the opposition. We're not used to having it put on us.

    We've had early deficits to overcome before but never with our opponent continuing to pour it on. In the past, we've straightened ourselves out in short order. In this game, we never really found ourselves. No doubt it was a learning experience for us, though one we'd rather not repeat.

    Should the Dream Team come out firing on all cylinders like the TD's did, I'd like to have us avoid the appearance of a doe caught in the headlights of an oncoming truck. I think that's how we looked Tuesday. If a couple of plays aren't made on a certain part of the diamond, I don't think we should put most of our defense out of allignment to patch that hole.

    I could be wrong but it seemed to me that our reconfigured defense did little but open more holes and encourage the TD's to slap the ball through the left side of our infield. That's about the easiest thing for a right handed hitter to do. I'm not sure we should be offering the other team any incentives to do so unless our defense is set to stop it. It wasn't.

    Again, I'm not trying to play the proverbial Monday morning quarterback or be critical. I'm just trying to figure what will work best for us in the future.

    ReplyDelete

(Please keep it clean)