Tuesday, June 14, 2011

NEW RULE FOR CATCHERS

Prior to our first game, the umpire told me there is a new rule for 2011 requiring the catcher to make all outs at home plate. I haven't received my copy of the 2011 ASA rulebook yet so I can't confirm if this is true.  For now we'll have to assume he's correct. If we have a different umpire this week, Gary or I will see if he is enforcing the same rule.

I grilled the umpire about this rule and he didn't waver. The only way we can record an out on a play at home plate is if the catcher touches home plate while in possession of the ball before the runner crosses the home plate line. If a player other than the catcher has the ball and touches home plate, it will not count.

I asked the umpire if this applies even in the event of an overthrow where the pitcher backing up the play picks up the ball at the backstop and hustles over to touch the plate before the runner crosses the line. He said the pitcher can pick up the ball but he can't be the one to touch the plate for the out. He will have to toss the ball to the catcher. I remain skeptical but until I have proof to back me up, we have to play it the way the umpire will call it.

To comply with this new rule, we have to change the way we approach plays at the plate. Gabrielle will likely be doing most of our catching. When a long throw comes to the plate from the outfield, we will need her to stay at the plate. The pitcher and/or first baseman will back up. If the ball is thrown out of Gabrielle's reach, we will need her to stay on the plate while the pitcher or first baseman retrieves the ball. If Gabrielle strays from the plate, we won't have anyone there to make the out. This is something we will have to practice next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please keep it clean)