Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Potential Practice Sites

Gary and I drove over to Wendell Park at 26th Street and Esmond Avenue after work on Monday. Unfortunately, the park was covered with kids playing baseball and soccer. Well, it's unfortunate for us. It's good that so many kids were out playing and exercising but I digress. From there, I drove by Nichol Park and found that nobody was playing on the diamond back in the far corner. That's the one beyond the left-centerfild fence of the diamond on which we play our games -- not the diamond closest to the school. Next, I stopped by Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park near the intersection of Harbour Way and Cutting Blvd, between Nystrom School and Cutting Gas (best name for a gas station, ever). BTW, that's where we played our league games in the 1980s. I broke my ankle on this diamond in 1985 when I played for The Shockers. Anyway, there were teenagers playing baseball there, too. I'm beginning to think the reason we're unable to find a good practice diamond is the late hour at which we start. When we wait until 5:30, all of the good diamonds are taken. I bet we could get one of the diamonds at Nichol Park if some of us on flex time were to get to the park by 4:00. Gary and I can do this. If we can get a few others to join us, I think we can get dibs on a good field. I understand that some members of the team can't get to the park before 5:00 or 5:30. That's fine. Just come on over as soon as you can. I have no problem playing from 4:00 until sundown. How's this for a plan? Gary and I will go to Nichol Park at 4:00 tomorrow. If we strike out at Nichol Park, we can try MLK Jr. Park I'll call Chiniqua to keep her posted so she can pass on the word to the rest of the team. If we can't get the field at Nichol Park or MLK Jr. Park, we can always fall back on East Shore Park. Though it's a terrible field, it's better than nothing.

1 comment:

  1. D'oh! I didn't get to work until 8:10 this morning so I'll be off work at 4:40. I won't be able make an early claim on a field today.

    ReplyDelete

(Please keep it clean)